What I took from the first lesson revolved around taking knowledge from our African ancestors. From learning that basic skills involving collection of and interpretation of knowledge come from out Egyptian ancestry, as well as our brothers who survived throughout the ages, who became stronger not only physically but mentally as well. I learned that you must not collect knowledge only for yourself, but for the betterment of a brother, sister, community, or even the entire planet. You were not put here for your own gain, but to reach back and help someone along the way who may need you. I learned to face general challenges with integrity and confidence, to always look forward, yet always reach back. I learned that the African experience in relation to education is always about educating the next generation, about spreading the knowledge, so that those after you may better the entire planet. I learned that there are certain personality traits, or even just modern ‘slang’ that originates deep within our African blood, and though we may take something like ‘what’s up’ lightly and throw it into Ebonics, the truth is that it comes from our African descent and that isn’t a joke. Even today, we are collecting and sharing knowledge with unknown help coming from past experiences and struggles by those before us, African leaders as well as African American leaders have fought so that we can be here today, and so that we can graduate from here at the end of four years.
No comments:
Post a Comment